Santa Silhouette

A belated Happy New Year everyone.

I think one of the best elements created in niece Devin's Christmas yard display was also one of the simplest and quickest to make - the window silhouette. My sister Megan, bro in law Paul and niece Devin's front lawn is off the side of their garage and had the perfect window for it.

After we established the workshop theme, Devin thought it would be fun to see Santa and an elf inside making toys. She drew the initial design idea.


Then we worked together revising her drawing so it fit the window better.


In this daylight picture, you can see, it was just sketched out on black foamcore board, cut out and simply double stick taped to the window. Inside the garage, a short "under the cabinet" style fluorescent strip was placed along the bottom to back light it.


We were lucky that the window was already frosted glass, but in a window that isn't, taping large sheets of tissue wrapping paper or trace paper on the inside would create the same effect.


Devin and I have decided changing the silhouette every year, would be a fun new tradition.

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome... I see a lot of your fabulous creativity rubbing off on your niece

    Great Christmas lawn display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask you to make a tutorial on this, but you beat me to it! Awesome idea and it turned out fantastic! Sounds like an awesome new tradition! :)

    The style of the house worked perfectly for the theme! I love the window molding.. super neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, oooh! That was my favourite part!! YES, you must have a new silhouette every year - I'm already looking forward to it!! Love the doll that Devin's elf made too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a silhouetted Santa reading his list on the Xmas It's A Small World ride. I remember thinking that yours had a lot more character. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of using foamcore for the silhouette. I tried several types of paper and had too much light bleed thru or other problems. Is there anything that foamcore can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, my drawing would look much rougher than Devin's initial drawing and certainly not that good "revised". Final work was amazing and what a great tradition that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments folks. Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've been out of town for most of January

    ReplyDelete