Love + Kisses, Brooke

My friend VALLEY GRRRL has a great story about meeting actor CHRIS ELLIOT on her blog. Her story reminded me of the time I met Brooke Shields.

Back in 1993, during it's final season, I was in the art dept. on ABC's The HOME SHOW. When not doing everyday prop person stuff, I was the "special set designer". I would design and create sets for fashion show segments or other unique needs next to the main set.

One day, segment producer at the time, Tracy Mazuer, came to me and said Brooke Shields was going to be a guest promoting a pet adoption campaign. The idea for the segment was to do a "tongue in cheek" version of the fashion shows we did once or twice a week. The animals up for adoption would come down the runway. I proposed, playing off the idea, that the set might look like a NEW YORKER magazine cover illustration. Sort of... humorously chic. Tracy liked the idea and sold it to the higher ups. The set came out pretty good. I want to kick my younger self because I didn't take any pictures. I still have the concept sketch though...


I was really excited to see Brooke Shields. I had a huge crush on her in my youth. I actually started to count down the hours when I would see her in person (quietly... in my head). I had told Tracy about my crush and she got a laugh out of it.

The morning of the show arrived, Brooke walked onto my set and sat down. Before the next part of the story, you should know... one of the duties the prop people did was provide water in "Home Show" mugs for talent/guests.

Tracy took a moment in prepping Brooke and called me over to introduce us, making a point of telling her I made the set. There I was looking into the beautiful eyes of a dream girl from my youth.

"Nice to meet you, the set is so cute" Brooke said

Nervous and shy, I asked her mumbling ...

"Can I get you some water?" almost in a whisper

"What?" Brooke said, leaning in closer, making my knee's weak.

"Wa ga, youb mont wa ga?" I said. My mouth had stopped working.

Tracy stepped in to translate...

"Dave's wondering if you would you like some water?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you." Brooke said smiling at me in a sweet way like I was the little slow and stupid guy on the crew.

I said "OK" and started to walk away. Tracy took my arm and walked with me. She was laughing knowing I got star struck.

"Are you alright?" she asked quietly.

"Yea, sorry, I'm just 12 years old again."

She laughed harder and went back to Brooke and producing the segment.

A couple of days later, Tracy handed me a large envelope.

"This is for you" she said and I opened it...


3 comments:

  1. YAY - love it.

    After so long in this industry and in this town, I've gotten pretty jaded. I can pass by big BIG A list stars of today and not bat an eye. But let a bit player from the shows of my youth walk by and I turn into superfan.

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelvis...

    I too am jaded working in TV about celebs, it's crazy to say, but it's true. TV work becomes just a job like any other over time. Yet when you do encounter someone from your "fan" youth it's great. I'll save the story I met Billy "Lando Calrissian" Williams in the hall of a studio for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so sweet! How nice that she was sensitive to that being important: to seeing what you had done, and saying thanks both in person & in a follow-up. That's good manners right there!
    The drawing is great-- love the perspective, and really love the 'slouch' of the human figure -- nice!

    ReplyDelete